Friday, January 20, 2012

If I Accept You As You Are, I Will Make You Worse!

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.” ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

We are often told to "accept people as they are" so as not to bring attention as to who they are. Is this good? Or do we make them worse by accepting them as they are and opposed to what they are capable of becoming? It's important to allow people to be who they are without criticism, but what if they can become so much more? Wouldn't it be our responsibility to help them become what they could become?

I'm the Grand Inquisitor and I'm also an Irritator and Goethe's quote really makes it for me, because so many people are living their lives at 50% when they could be at 80% or 90%. Are you living your life at less than it should be? Are people accepting you and not challenging you to be more? How do your friends interact with you? Are they moving you forward or keeping you where you are?

The world does not benefit from you playing small and if we accept you as you are, we may be not allowing you to become who you might be. I would hate that...so I'll go on Questioning and Irritating. I'm ok with you not liking me because I irritate you. It means that you are thinking about something and that will challenge you and get you out of your familiar zone (comfort zone) and allow you to grow.

"It's never too late to be who you might have been."

Know. Be Known. Make A Difference!

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment